IIT GATE 2020 ONLINE FORM
IIT Delhi had released GATE 2020 Application Form on August 31, 2019 at its official website. Candidates filled the online application form without late fees till September 28 and with late fees till October 5, 2019.
Latest: GATE 2020 Application Process for Jammu Kashmir and Ladakh students was re-opened from October 29 to November 8, 2019.
- GATE Application Form Correction Windowis open since October 15, 2019 at gate.iitd.ac.in.
- GATE Application Fee for normal registration is INR 1500 for general category while late registration fees is INR 2000 which has to be paid in online mode only.
- Applicants have to upload their scanned passport size photo and signature in prescribed specifications. Read detailed GATE Photo Size and Format
- The entire application process is done through GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS).
- GATE 2020 Admit Card will be available from January 3, 2020.
- The exam will be in online mode by IIT Delhi on February 1, 2, 8 and 9, 2020.
- GATE 2020 will be conducted in 25 papers, Biomedical Engineering is a new addition.
- The paper pattern will remain the same, the only difference will be in the GATE Syllabus.
Graduate Aptitude Test or popularly recognized as GATE, is the gateway to M.Tech programs offered by prestigious government and private institutions. It is jointly organized by the seven IITs and the Indian Institute of Science (IISc). Read on to know more about GATE Application Form, Registration, Documents Required, Important Dates, Steps to apply, Application fee and other important details.
GATE 2020 Registration Dates (Revised)
|Commencement of Application Process||August 31, 2019|
|Last date to fill the Application form||September 28, 2019|
|Extended date for submitting the online application form||October 5, 2019|
|GATE Form Correction Window||October 15, 2019 on-wards|
|Last date to request the change of exam city||November 15, 2019|
|Admit card download||January 3, 2020|
|GATE 2020 Exam dates||February 1, February 2, February 8, February 9, 2020|
GATE 2020 Application – Documents/Particulars Required
Candidates must keep the following documents handy before initiating the process for GATE Registration:
- Scanned photograph and signature
- Valid Photo ID (Aadhaar Card/Passport/Driving License/PAN Card/Voter ID/College ID/Employee Identification Card/Notarized Affidavit with Photo, Signature, Date of Birth and Residential Address).
- For foreign students, Passport/ Govt. Issued ID/College ID/Employee ID will be considered as valid ID proofs.
- Degree Certificate/Provisional Certificate/Course Completion Certificate
- Copy of Mark Sheet of the V /VI /VII semester
- Final year students must submit Provisional Certificate Letter as per format issued by the Home of Institute/Dean/Registrar/Head of Dept.
- Candidates in the final year of AMIE have to submit their mark sheet for Section A of AMIE in case of professional equivalent qualifications.
- Caste Certificate (if applicable) as per given format
- Disability or PwD Certificate (if applicable)
- Candidates pursuing a higher degree or masters have to submit the qualifying degree certificate
- Candidates with backlogs have to upload a copy of the mark sheet of the final year issued by the institute where they are studying.
A Step-wise Guide to GATE 2020 Application Process
GATE 2020 Application Process
For the ease of aspirants, the exam authority has released a Guide for successful submission of GATE Application Form. The process of applying for GATE comprises the following steps-
- GATE Registration – Register as “New User” and proceed as mentioned in the guide. After successful registration, you will get access to GOAPS with the credentials you entered.
- Fill GATE Application Form – Login using GOAPS Enrollment ID and GOAPS Password and start filling the GATE application form.
- Upload Documents – Upload Image, Signature, Eligibility Certificate, SC/ST Certificate and PwD Certificate as per the given specifications.
- Payment of Fees – Payment can be done through credit card, debit card or net banking.
Step 1: Registration
To fill the online application process, candidates have to register themselves. New candidates can register themselves by entering their full name and other details in the form given below.
- Name of the Candidate
- Email Address
- Country of Residence
- Mobile Number
- Create your Password – It should be unique and 8-15 characters long.
- Enter the Captcha and click on ‘Submit. ‘
- If all the details are correct, an SMS and an email will be sent to your mobile number and email address respectively.
- Enter details like a valid email address, mobile number and create a GOAPS password.
- GOAPS password must be unique. Avoid using Date of Birth, your name or some numbers (12345) or string of letters (abcd), etc.
- All communication will be done through the registered mobile number and email id.
- In the case of foreign students, all the communication will be done through the email id.
NOTE: Only one application form can be filled through one e-mail id
GOAPS Enrollment ID
After successful registration, an email containing the GOAPS Enrollment ID will be sent. This ID will be used for submitting GATE Application Form 2020, downloading GATE Admit Card and for the purpose of checking result and downloading the scorecard.
Step 2: Filling of GATE 2020 Application Form
Enter the Enrollment ID and Password to proceed with GATE Application Form filling process. Go through GATE 2020 Information Brochure and read all the given instructions. There are 4 subsections under stage 2 of How to Apply for GATE 2020. The detailed process is explained below-
GATE 2020 Exam Details: Select the GATE 2020 Paper you wish to appear in. Select your examination country and subsequently pick 3 choices of GATE Exam Centers.
Note: While selecting the exam cities, the first two choices must be of the same GATE Zone and the third one can be from any sector.
Applicant’s Personal Details: Don’t forget to Verify Email Address and Mobile Number. On clicking the Verify Button, an OTP is sent to the registered email id and mobile number. Enter your personal details like Date of Birth, Gender, Nationality, Category etc.
Commonly Asked Questions
I am a student with 56 percentage in MSc, Am I eligible to sit for GATE 2020 entrance exam?
Passed a Master’s degree in any branch of Science/Mathematics/Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent or currently appearing in the final year. Year of qualification must not be later than 2020.
What is the upper age limit for GATE 2020 exam?
GATE 2020 Eligibility Criteria mandates a candidate to hold a Bachelor’s Degree from a recognized university/ institute in order to apply for the exam. There is no upper age limit for GATE 2020.
Step 3: Uploading Documents
Images to be uploaded should be scanned beforehand and kept ready for uploading. Documents that are required to be uploaded are mentioned below-
- Passport size photograph in the white background: 2 kb -200 kb
- Signature in running handwriting: 2 kb-150 kb
- Eligibility Certificate(s)
- Category Certificate wherever applicable: 10 kb -300 kb
- PwD Certificate wherever applicable: 10 kb – 300 kb
Commonly Asked Questions
I can’t upload my signature, despite many attempts. I followed all the instructions and criteria specified. What should I do?
Please check the format of the file. Also, check the size. Kindly refrain from resizing the file.How do I find out if my uploaded photograph is acceptable or not?
In case, the photo you have uploaded is not accepted, you will get an email or SMS. After which, you can correct the photograph and other details. Kindly refrain from resizing the file.
After uploading the documents, read the declaration and tick the checkbox to proceed for the fee payment.
Step 4: GATE 2020 Application Form Fee Payment
- GATE Application Fee varies for Indian nationals and International candidates.
- The payment can be made via net banking facility/credit card or debit card only.
- E-challan mode of payment has been eliminated from the GATE registration process.
- GATE Application Fee is neither refundable nor transferable.
- As per the banking norms, additional online transaction charges will be applicable.
- Candidates belonging to SC/ ST/ PwD category have to upload valid documentary evidence for concession in fees.
- Category wise application fee details are tabulated below:
|Category||Normal Application Fee||Late Application Fee (Sept 29 – Oct 5)|
|Women||INR 750||INR 1250|
|SC/ ST/ PwD||INR 750||INR 1250|
|All Other Candidates||INR 1500||INR 2000|
|For Exam Center in Addis Ababa, Colombo, Dhaka, and Kathmandu||US$ 50||US$ 70|
|For Exam Center in Dubai and Singapore||US$ 100||US$ 120|
Payment Issues Resolvement GATE 2020 Application Form
In case the payment made is not reflected in the first go, You should not make another payment immediately. You should wait for at least two days, then check GATE 2020 Application Form Status. Another payment should be made in case of the unsuccessful payment. In case any extra payments are received, it will be automatically refunded to the respective bank account (it may take a week or more, after the closure of GATE Registration).
Forgot Enrollment ID or Password?
In certain situations, enrollment id and password can be misplaced by a candidate. If need be, email id can also be used to access GATE Application Form.
- Request for an OTP: If you remember the Enrollment ID/Email Address, but forgotten Password, click on “Request for an OTP” to get One Time Password.
Provide your registered mobile number and Enrollment ID/Email Address. Click on Reset Password to obtain a new one.
- Already have an OTP? : If you already have an OTP, click on “Already have an OTP?” to reset the password.
Enter the following details to create a New Password-
- Enrollment ID/Email Address
- New Password
- Confirm New Password
Password Specifications: Choose a password that cannot be guessed easily. It should be unique and 8-15 characters.
GATE Application Form Correction
After the submission of the form, it goes under scrutiny where the authority will check and inform the candidates about the mistakes for the rectification. An additional fee will be applicable for changing the details in the application form.
The following details can be edited before paying the application fee-
- Details like Communication Address, Graduation Details, Date of Birth, Gender and Category.
- One needs to upload a clear and acceptable image of the photograph and signature if they have not uploaded the high-quality images.
- The correct document defining the category status.
- The rectification of selection of the wrong status of qualifying examination along with its correct document can be submitted.
The changes that cannot be made in the submitted GATE Application Form:
- The E-mail Id mentioned by the candidate
- Contact Number is given by the candidate
As the above-mentioned details cannot be edited, in case a mistake is made, you have to apply again for GATE 2020 with a new E-mail ID and Phone Number. It must be noted that the previous application fee shall not be refunded.
GATE 2020 Application Status
If the status of your application is “Under Scrutiny”, you need not worry. Wait till the scrutiny team processes your application. Only those candidates whose applications need to be rectified in photo/signature/supporting documents will be contacted by email and SMS. The scrutiny process will continue even after the application portal is closed.
GATE Application Form FAQs
Ques. My graduation was through a distance learning program, Can I apply for GATE 2020?
Ques. I completed my graduation in 2019 but I do not have my degree certificate or provisional certificate yet. What document should I upload to prove that I am eligible for GATE 2020?
Ques. Can I register for more than one paper in GATE?
Ques. I am facing difficulty while uploading my signature. I have followed all the guidelines defined by the GATE authorities. What should I do now?
Ques. What is GATE Application Fee for Foreign Nationals?
Ques. I have paid an application fee twice via net banking. What should I do to get reimbursement for the extra fee paid?
Ques. Do I have to send any hard copy of GATE Application Form to any authority?
Ques. When and how can I check my GATE Application Status?
Ques. I have submitted my application form and have generated a PDF file. Will I be able to make any changes in the application form now?
Ques. What ID documents are required while filling in the application form?